Maybe you’ve been struggling with a mental disorder like me, or maybe something’s going on in your life that’s causing temporary stress. In any case, when I wake up feeing awful - like the world is collapsing in - these are small steps to making the day feel better:
1) Get up, at least for now! :)
2) Take any vitamins or pills you’re prescribed with a glass of water (water solves SO many things, it’s amazing).
3) Either make one of your favourite breakfasts or get something small like a piece of fruit if you don’t feel like eating (even something smaller if you want).
4) Have a shower or a bath. Use your nicest products. This is one of the best times to use up those products from, say, Lush Cosmetics (they are wonderful!!). Scrub your skin because it just feels really good.
5) Don’t forget to take care of any pets (and children should be first on this list if you have them). I often let the family dogs out in their kennel first thing.
6) If weather & other conditions permit, go around opening windows to let fresh air & sunshine in.
7) Do something for another. This could be as simple as adding some rows onto a knitting project that’s going to someone who needs it. My father (who also struggled a lot in his life with mental issues) once told me that the best thing you can do to help yourself is to help another. Smile at someone, open a door. Don’t be concerned with their reaction. What matters is that you are contributing to the good and the love in this world!
8) Lists of things you’re thankful for ACTUALLY WORK! You can even turn this into a journal by writing a short journal entry about said thing, a poem, a drawing.
9) That brings me to a big one. Art. Self-expression. Some of the best art you will ever produce will come out a dark period of life.
10) Take lessons you’ve always wanted to take. You can teach yourself as well from videos on YouTube. Riding lessons, knitting, crochet, pottery, yoga, weaving, sewing, cooking…
11) More self-care. Pedicure/manicure yourself. Facial mask. Trim the ends of your hair…whatever.
12) Make real plans to tick off one thing from your life to-do list. If local is way more realistic (but, DREAM BIG still…) than a trip far away, go whale watching..etc.